Twisted Wire

Twisted Wire

Twisted Wire

Twisted wire is simply two regular wires twisted together. Having two wires so close together causes the signals coming out of each wire to cancel each other out and creates a dead-zone where the dog can walk over safely without getting the warning or the correction. But, the twisted wire can only be used in certain situations. The main use for twisted wire is to connect the main boundary loop to the control box. You can also use the twisted wire to connect one loop to another loop. But, you absolutely cannot use the twisted wire as part of the main loop. The video below shows you how to use twisted wire and how you can make your own.

Sample Layouts

Overview 1.

Imagine you had a boundary going around your entire property, with the base station inside your home. You have everything connected and test to make sure everything works fine, but the layout is not ideal.

Cut the boundary wire where it turns in from the perimeter toward the house and disconnect the wire from the control box. (If you bought the pre-twisted you would replace this section with the pre-twisted wire, so skip straight to step 5 where we connect up the twisted wire.) The rest of us will need to twist the wire ourselves.

Now we splice the twisted wire back into the boundary loop on one side, and re-connect the twisted wire to the control box on the other side.

You would have two strands of wire coming into the base station from the perimeter. This would be inconvenient because the dog could not cross the section of the wire.

Twist the two wires together, so that there is about one twist per inch. Err toward having more twists rather than less. The easiest way to twist the wires is to attach them to an electric drill and let the drill do the twisting for you.

Voila! Your dog can now safely cross over the twisted section without hearing the warning beep or getting the correction.

124 Comments

1. Cindy says:

I have wire ran on the right side of my back yard in a big loop where the entry (dead zone) needs to be on the right side of my cement patio so the dog can access the back door. The loop is completed at the far right corner of the patio and then doubles back on itself (over the single wire loop) to the house as twisted wire to creat the dead zone. It doesn’t cancel out the signal. How do I fix this?

ADMIN – HI Cindy. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop. Think of twisted wire as the string on a balloon and the boundary is the balloon. The string would connect the balloon to your hand, or the boundary loop to the transmitter. You cannot insert the twisted wire into the middle of your loop.

2. Cody Thompson says:

I am trying to create a break in my main loop along the neighbors physical fence so the dogs can run the fence with eachother. I’ve realize doubling back means I’ll actually have to triple back which brings the signal back. My question is, can I cut the wire at that section, twist in a second line and then at the end of the physical fence tie those two back into the main loop? This will mean bringing three ends together at each end of the twist. Below is the best illustration I could do. Will this work?

Main line Add 2nd line to main Splice back in main line
    ————————————————————

ADMIN – Hi Cody. No, the triple twist has been tried many times and it will not work. The wires at the end of the twisted piece need to meet one to one with the boundary loop. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop. Think of twisted wire as the string on a balloon and the boundary is the balloon. The string would connect the balloon to your hand, or the boundary loop to the transmitter. You cannot insert the twisted wire into the middle of your loop.

• Spencer Busler says:

Hi Cody,

Did you ever find a solution to the triple twist/physical fence boundary issue? We are in a similar situation where we want our dog to be able to walk up to the physical fence without getting corrected, but the physical fence only encompasses 1/4 of our yard.

We are leaning toward using the double loop layout as a barrier for the unfenced portion…

3. Lisa Pandiscia says:

Can I run the wire along the bottom our chain link fence?

ADMIN – Hi Lisa,

Yes, you can read more about types of fences on this article

4. Neal Piper says:

Is there such a thing as triple twisting wires in ? My thought is that I would like to only protect the backyard yet let them out the backdoor. Single wire around the perimeter of the yard and triple twisted along the back of the house? I do not have the space to do the double loop (i.e., leave six feet between the inside and outside boundary wires). I prefer not to go around the front of the house either.

ADMIN – Hi Neal. Unfortunately, the triple twisted wire method does not work. The best options are to either take the wire up over the eaves of the house or to run the wire tightly around the foundation of your home around the front.

5. william McElroy says:

We have an acre of land. We have a 3/4 of acre with the invisible fence. The deck area is the in and out for the dog from the house. I put the wire into the gutter over the deck, but my puppy is growing and we had the setting on 3 and she was fine but her neck is now taller than that. She walked though part of the fence. She is St Bernard. We have to up the fence to 4 and soon maybe higher. The height of gutter to the deck is 8 ft. The collar when off. Can I twist the wire above the deck? Because my fence is a big loop can I triple wire twist? Double back the orginial loop and twist then bring the third wire back across the twist possible twist it into the orginial twist?

ADMIN – Hi William. No, twisting the wire 3 times will not work because one of the wires will still be live. Think of twisted wire as the string on a balloon and the boundary is the balloon. The string would connect the balloon to your hand, or the boundary loop to the transmitter. You cannot insert the twisted wire into the middle of your loop.

6. Gordon Kavanagh says:

Hi
    Did you resolve the issue for customers where the twisting of wires did not kill the signal. I have the same issue

ADMIN – Hi Gordon. The usual reason for the signal not being cancelled is misuse of the twisted wire. Unfortunately, the twisted cannot be inserted into the middle of a loop. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop. Think of twisted wire as the string on a balloon and the boundary loop is the balloon. The string would connect the balloon to your hand, or the boundary loop to the transmitter. You cannot insert the twisted wire into the middle of your loop.

7. Chelsey says:

Hello,

We just installed the fence in a figure 8 (so the back yard is separate from the front yard, but the wires are twisted together when it runs along the house). However, the collar keeps beeping and shocking by the twisted wire. This is really bad because the twisted wire goes right past the door my dog needs to go in and out. My parents did a similar design several years ago and it worked great, so I am not sure what happened. Please help!

ADMIN – Hi Chelsey. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop. Think of twisted wire as the string on a balloon and the boundary is the balloon. The string would connect the balloon to your hand, or the boundary loop to the transmitter. You cannot insert the twisted wire into the middle of your loop. This may be the source of your problem, depending on how you have set up your system.

8. John says:

Can you use 3 wires twisted together to cancel dog wire so you can use to run along house so the dog will not be shocked in the house. I can not go all the way around my house..I need to run a wire in both direction along house then loop around front yard driveway and cancel wire back across garage deck to control box. Thank for any information on this John

ADMIN – Hi John. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop. Please visit the DogFenceDIY “Planning, Installation and Layout” page to see layout ideas and diagrams.

9. Michael McBride says:

I have a pet safe electronic fence for my dog in the back yard but I want him to be able to go in and out of the patio door without being shocked. I twisted the wires to make a dead zone but it still gives the warning when he gets near. Is there anything we can cover the area with it block the signal?

ADMIN – HI Michael. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop.

10. GARRY says:

Is there a limit on the length of twisted wire…..looking at about a 100 ft of twisted?

ADMIN – Hi Garry. You can use up to half the length of the total amount of your boundary wire. For example, if you are running 500 feet of boundary wire, you can used of to 250 feet of twisted wire. However, we do recommend using as little twisted wire as you can get away with for your layout.

11. Joe Brunovsky says:

Hello we live in a town home and currently have the system installed and it works great! I’m running a double loop since one side of the house is connected to our neighbor. I run out the garage to the front down the side all the way to the back or the house and than a double loop 3-5 ft apart along the same path back to the garage. My problem is it’s cutting 3-5 ft off my yard because of th double loop.

My question is could I run a twisted wire from the back yard to the garage to complete the loop but not bring the yard space in 3-5 ft? I want to run out the garage to the front, down the side and to the back and than run a twisted wire up the side of the house back to the garage.

ADMIN – Hi Joe. Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop.

12. Heather says:

When twisting the wire, does it matter what wires connects to each boundary wire. For instance, I want to create a boundary for my flower garden. I plan on twisting wire from the boundary wire to garden. Once I loop around the garden, I want to make sure the signal does not identify the outside of the flowers are out of bounds. Hope this all makes sense 🙂

ADMIN – Hi Heather. If you have the PetSafe YardMax system, you will want to use the Pawz Away Rock Outdoor Zone (RFA-378): https://dogfencediy.com/store/accessories/indoor-zones/pawz-away.html to create your exclusion zone. The YardMax does not allow for you to create the exclusion zone by putting a smaller loop inside the larger loop because of the run-through deterrent. If you have a traditional style system, you should not have to worry about the directionality of the signal coming off the wire.

13. Mike Kowalski says:

We are moving to a new home, and are going to be moving our invisible fence with us, my question is that the house is on a lake, and we would like the dogs to be able to enter the lake at will. How should I set up my wire so as to have the lake side of our property accessable to the dogs?

ADMIN – HI Mike. You can find lake front layouts on our DogFenceDIY “Planning, Installation and Layout” page. This will give you three possibilities to run your wire and still give your dogs access to the lake.

14. Mark Ross says:

I have laid out my boundary wire, and a twisted section along the house so dogs and come and go as needed. The twisted strand is still sending out a signal, what would cause this? I am using pretwisted wire from Pet Fence Pro’s

ADMIN – Hi Mark. The wire should be twisted at 10 to 12 twists per foot. Also, Twisted Wire is used to connect the wire loop terminals between the transmitter and perimeter loop if the area between the transmitter and the boundary loop is an area you want the dogs to be able to cross though. This will cancel the signal in this area so that the dogs can cross back and forth through the area without receiving a correction. It cannot be inserted into the middle of a boundary loop.

15. PJ says:

My question pertains to twisting my own wire. I am going to be twisting about 85 feet of your 14 Ga wire in a drill. I need to end up with approximately a ‘net’ 85 feet. If I twist at the recommended 10-12 twists per foot, how much length will I lose to twisting? If I start with two 90 foot lengths will that be enough? Or is that over kill? Thank you.

ADMIN – Hi PJ. It never hurts to twist extra as you can always cut some off but you cannot add length without splicing in new wire. We do not have exact measurements on how much wire length is lost when twisting.

16. Alan says:

Is it possible to use twisted wire as part of a double loop setup? I’m looking to instal a three wall perimeter off the back of the house using double loop. I’d like my dog to have full access up to a fence along the back of our property (no need for electronic containment there). Would it be possible to twist that portion of the main boundary since it’s double loop setup?

ADMIN – Hi Alan. Because you are running a double loop layout for your yard, you CAN use the twisted wire in the middle to create a gate or a dead zone in your loop.

17. Taylor says:

flowerchildtayy@gmail.com
    We have an underground fence. And have the twisted pattern coming out of the building, and now the loop indicator light is off and beeping. We’ve dug up the fence on both sides about ten feet wide. And the collars only work when they are touching the fence. There is no warning or beeps. Except for when the collar is literally on the wire. We have five acres fenced in and have only had the transmitter a year.

ADMIN – Hi Taylor. You will need to contact the manufacturer of your system to let them troubleshoot your equipment with you.

18. Jennifer says:

If I am making a loop around my house and then connecting the loop to my house – the connection to the house is where I need twisted wire (so the dog can go to the front and back yard). Can I use both ends of the wire to make my twisted wire? Why do I need to splice and add twisted wire?

ADMIN – Hi Jennifer. You can use the wire to create twisted wire rather than splicing in twisted wire. However, is can be very complicated to make twisted wire with the proper ratio of twists per foot, 10 to 12, if the boundary wire is still attached to the main loop. There is nothing that says you cannot do this from a functional stand point but it might be easier to splice in the twisted wire from an installation stand point.

19. Ron Good says:

Since metal adversely effects performance how do you get around all buildings being aluminum sided?

ADMIN – Hi Ron. The Boundary Wire should be installed 5-10 feet away from metal and/or electromagnetic interference (e.g., metal siding, aluminum siding, metal roof, metal fencing, HVAC equipment, etc) to avoid amplification problems and unintended corrections to the dog’s collar.

With any possible metal interference, we recommend laying the wire on top of the ground in the location you think you want it and testing the collar to make sure it beeps and corrects at the right location on the perimeter loop. This way, if you need to move the wire closer to or further away from the obstacle, you can do so easily. Once the correct location has been determined, then you can bury your wire 1″ – 3″ in the ground or tack it to the surface of the ground using lawn staples to hold it in place.

20. James Black says:

Could i run the boundary out the left side of my house around the yard and into the right side of my house, using the twisted wire running through the house to a central location? Where the transmitter would be located

ADMIN – HI James. Unfortunately, you cannot insert twisted wire into the middle of your loop. Twisted wire can only be used as a connecting wire, ie. from your loop to your transmitter. Please visit our Dog Fence Layouts page to see diagrams of different solutions for the layout you are asking about.

21. Howard says:

Does the transmitter need to be in frost free area?

ADMIN – Hi Howard. We recommend installing the transmitter inside a waterproof area that does not drop below freezing connected to an electrical outlet. The transmitter should be away from metal and/or electromagnetic interference (e.g., metal siding, aluminum siding, metal roof, metal fencing, circuit breaker box, HVAC equipment, washer/dryer, refrigerator, etc) to avoid amplification problems, unintended corrections to the dog’s collar or signal interference.

22. Jack Covill says:

Why would a nick in the insulation cause a problem? The signal runs through the copper.
    Can I just wrap a nicked spot with Bishops tape or other waterproof substance?
    I see you should stay clear of metal when mounting the control unit.
    I would like to mount it near the front door. It’s a steel door with full glass.
    Should I expect a problem?
    somewhere on your site I read, twisting 16 gauge is difficult, and you should thinner wire for that. What are the ramifications of using my 20 gauge twisted with a 16 gauge loop?
    Thanks

ADMIN – Hi Jack. If the insulation is nicked and the wire nicked as well or exposed, the system may read this as a wire break. I have not heard of anyone wrapping the exposed area so this may be something to try if the situation arises. We recommend installing the transmitter inside a waterproof area that does not drop below freezing connected to an electrical outlet. The transmitter should be away from metal and/or electromagnetic interference (e.g., metal siding, aluminum siding, metal roof, metal fencing, circuit breaker box, HVAC equipment, washer/dryer, refrigerator, etc) to avoid amplification problems, unintended corrections to the dog’s collar or signal interference. We recommend using the 16 gauge over the 14 gauge wire. The 16 gauge is easier to work with and is still a thick, durable wire. We do not recommend splicing a 20 gauge wire to a 16 gauge wire. The difference in wire gauge can cause issues with how the signal is carried.

23. Kylee says:

How do you account for a cement driveway between each side of the yard. We want to basically surround our property line to keep out of neighbors yards and then also the road but it is cement only across the driveway.

Hi Kylee. You can find information on how to cross driveways and paths with your boundary wire on our Driveways & Paths page.