Dogtra has an older but fully featured system that is a great choice for people that have dogs of different sizes where having independent correction levels is a necessity.
The Dogtra EF-3000 Gold is an updated version of the older dogtra basic in ground fence model. Updated in 2007, the EF-3000 Gold model upgraded the rechargeable battery from NiMH to a superior lithium polymer battery that has a longer life and faster recharging cycle.
The best feature of the system is that the rechargeable collar allows you to set the correction level for each collar separately. This means that you can set the correction level for say a small dog on the low level, and the correction level for a larger dog on the medium level. The Dogtra collars have five correction levels including a vibration setting.
Stemming from it’s roots as a fairly old system, the control box and the collar are both pretty clunky. It also doesn’t have the neat collar fit feature or the progressive correction that we like on the Innotek 4100. But, if you have two or more dogs of very different sizes, this is the one we would recommend.
Summary: An older system, but the one to get if you have two or more dogs of different sizes.
If you found this site useful, please consider purchasing your system through our online store. Our price on the Dogtra is the lowest price available and includes free shipping.
The Dogtra collar is bigger and chunkier than you would expect from a collar at this pricepoint.
Dogtra EF-3000 Gold Collar
It won’t be a big deal on a big dog, but is not a great choice on dogs under 20 lbs. It is a well built, solid, waterproof collar as you would expect from Dogtra, a company that focuses on making training collars for hunting dogs.
Independent Correction Levels
The strength of this system is that you can adjust the correction level right on the collar. Each collar can be set at a different level so you can contain a big dog and a small dog on the same system. The correction level is controlled using a dial on the collar and has five correction levels. Each correction level is progressive, so increases the longer the dog stays in the correction field. The collar vibrates as well as beeps to alert the dog that they are entering an out of bounds area.
Dogtra Collar and Charger
The collars contain a rechargeable lithium ion battery. It lasts about 3 weeks between charges. You recharge the collar by plugging an adaptor into a port on the collar. The collar includes a long life lithium polymer battery.
Long, Short, & No Shock Prongs
The system includes interchangeable long probes for long hairs dogs, short probes for short hair dogs, and training probes that deliver no correction. To change the probes you just unscrew the old set and screw in the new set.
The control unit on the Dogtra is capable of doing 40 acres, 15 more than it’s main competitor the Innotek IUC-4100. On the control box you will see the following controls:
- Selector Switch The selector toggle switch on the Dogtra lets you switch the unit off, and switch the warning beep and vibration off. We can think of no reason why you would ever want to turn the warnings off, so you will want to keep it in the up position.
- Field Width The field width adjustment know lets you increase the width of the correction field on either side of the wire.
- Wire Connectors Two wire connection terminals on the bottom of the unit are used to connect the boundary loop to the system. A third terminal is for directly grounding the unit to a nearby grounding stake to protect the unit if lightning strike the boundary wire. If none is present nearby, you can the optional lightning protection module.
The Dogtra EF-3000 control box is wall mountable, using two screws that attach to the top and bottom of the unit.
Dogtra EF-3000 Gold Transmitter Box
The system comes standard with:
- 500 feet of boundary wire – about 1/3 of an acre’s worth (18 gauge)
- 50 boundary flags – used to mark the boundary line during the initial training phase
- 2 Waterproof wire splice – used to join sections of the boundary wire
If you need additional boundary kits to create a larger boundary you can purchase it in our online store ($40 per 500 feet). Because the EF-3000 comes standard with 18 gauge boundary wire we suggest using 18 gauge wire when adding boundary wire to the system (but this is not required).
Training DVD and Instruction Manual
The system comes with an instruction manual and a separate training manual. Their method is a pretty similar to ours, and a good system for training the dogs.
The Dogtra EF-3000 comes with a two years full warranty.