Puppy Training Help and Resources
Gathering the necessary supplies for a new puppy as well as taking the time to train it properly are just two of the responsibilities of a pet owner. An owner must practice patience and persistence when it comes to house training a new puppy and teaching it other skills. A person who takes the time to train a new puppy will enjoy sharing their home with an obedient, loving dog for years to come.
Bringing Home a New Puppy
A puppy's arrival in a household makes for a fun and exciting day. In order to prepare for the arrival of a new puppy, an owner must purchase several items. Among those items are bowls for food and water as well as a dog bed. A collar, leash, brush, and a supply of healthy food are some of the other supplies a new puppy will need. In addition, an owner must find a competent veterinarian to give the puppy its vaccinations and regular check-ups. With a little preparation, an owner will be ready to offer a new puppy a safe, loving home.
- Necessary Items for a Puppy: Find a list of supplies and important reminders to consider when you bring home a new puppy.
- Advice on Caring for a Dog or Puppy: Read a collection of information that outlines how to give a puppy or dog the care it needs.
- A Puppy's Basic Needs: Check out what things are required to make a new puppy feel cared for and secure.
- A Puppy's Learning Stages: Offers a look at the different developmental stages of a puppy.
A puppy needs guidance from an owner on where it is supposed to relieve itself. If an owner is patient and consistent in showing the puppy where to relieve itself, the house training process will be more successful. Furthermore, it's important to praise a puppy when it relieves itself in the proper place outside. In fact, a positive reaction from an owner is vital in the process of house training a puppy.
- Ideas for House Training a Puppy: Features information on how to approach house training a new puppy.
- Technique to House Train a Puppy: Find instruction on house training a puppy as well as other helpful information on dealing with one.
- Suggestions for Successfully House Training a Puppy: Peruse a gathering of advice on what to do and what not to do when it comes to house training a puppy.
Some owners use crate training as a way to house train their new puppy. The crate becomes a puppy's personal, restful place; consequently, it will not want to relieve itself there. The use of a crate prevents a puppy from wandering the house and relieving itself anywhere, at any time. At the right time, an owner takes the puppy to relieve itself where it is supposed to.
- The Crate Training Process for a Puppy: Check out these clear, step-by-step instructions on how to successfully crate train a puppy.
- The Value of Crate Training: Read about the value and specifics of crate training for dogs.
Barking is a natural behavior in dogs and in some cases; it proves useful to an owner. For instance, an owner would be grateful for a dog that barks at a stranger trying to enter their home through a window. At times, however a dog can develop the habit of excessive barking. It's important for an owner to figure out what triggers the barking in their puppy or dog. Is the barking caused by a particular person or a certain sound? Once an owner has determined why the dog barks, then they can work on correcting the habit.
- Advice on Controlling a Dog's Barking: Learn a number of practical ways that a dog owner can control a dog's barking habit.
Walking Your Puppy
By nature, a puppy likes to run around exploring all of the interesting sights and smells. As a result, an owner should employ a great deal of patience when teaching their puppy to walk on a leash. After all, a walk on which an owner and puppy are pulling in opposite directions is not an enjoyable experience. The main lesson that a puppy must learn is to pay attention to its owner's movements. If an owner is consistent and issues a lot of praise, then taking a walk will become an activity that both owner and canine look forward to.
- Training a Puppy to Walk on a Leash: Read this group of suggestions on how to teach a puppy to walk easily on a leash. Also includes other training tips for dogs.
- Techniques for Teaching a Puppy to Walk on a Leash: Contains a gathering of information on how to teach a puppy to walk on a leash.
Puppy Biting and Chewing
Most puppies love to chew things during their first few months of life. Unfortunately, sometimes a puppy's nipping and chewing can become excessive. Providing a puppy with a variety of chew toys is helpful. The hope is that the puppy will abandon the practice of chewing on shoes or other items belonging to its owner in favor of the chew toys. Furthermore, if a puppy has gotten into the habit of nipping, an owner can try crying out the next time the puppy nips them. After demonstrating this reaction to the puppy's nip, the owner should ignore the puppy's efforts to interact for the next several minutes. Eventually, the puppy will connect the nipping with their owner moving away from them.
- Putting a Stop to a Puppy's Biting: Features a few practical tips on how to stop a puppy's biting habit.
- Answers to a Puppy's Chewing Habit: Discover some ideas for owners on how to stop a puppy's destructive chewing.
Sit, Stay, and Other Tricks
Teaching a canine to obey commands is a fun activity for both an owner and their puppy. It's also an easy way for a new puppy and an owner to get to know one another. In addition, an owner who teaches their puppy to obey commands is better able to keep the dog out of harm's way. For instance, a stay command from an owner could prevent a dog from escaping through an open gate onto a busy road. Teaching a puppy the basic commands is just the beginning of being a devoted, caring dog owner.
- A Variety of Tricks for a Puppy to Learn: Contains several descriptions of how to train a puppy or dog to sit up, roll over, shake hands, and more!
- Teaching a Dog to Sit: Find out the steps involved in teaching a dog how to sit.
- Teaching a Dog to Sit and to Stay: Learn the steps of teaching a dog to sit and to stay with the help of clear directions and illustrations.
- A Lesson on Calming a Dog: Features instructions for an owner on how to calm down an excited puppy or dog.
- Instructions for Teaching a Puppy to Rollover: Read the step-by-step instructions on teaching a puppy to rollover.