2nd Annual Electric Dog Fence DIY Scholarship for Veterinary & Animal Science Students

by Gayla on May 18, 2014

Last year, we had the honor of hosting our first Veterinary & Pre-Vet Scholarship. It was a true honor for us to be able to help a needy student in a way that most scholarships normally can’t. Our goal is to provide a deserving student the opportunity to have some financial relief that will allow him or her to better focus in their studies and be able to better serve humanity, in particular our best friends.

Thanks to the feedback of numerous academic institutions, we have made revisions to this year’s scholarship in an effort to be more inclusive and allow for broader participation.

Award Amount

▪    Two $1000 scholarships are available. Each scholarship will be distributed in two installments of $500 each per criteria below

▪    To be used at the student’s discretion for living expenses, educational expenses or quality of life expenses

Award Criteria and Eligibility

• Be enrolled in one of the following:
    • Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program
    • Undergraduate biology or pre-veterinary studies program, or the equivalent
    • Vocational program or community college working on technical or support degrees associated to the service of animals
    • Graduate program focused on animal assisted therapy
    • Must be enrolled full-time and in good standing at an accredited university
    • Hold a minimum 3.5 grade point average (GPA) or equivalent
    • Submit a 1,000 word essay on Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Our Canine Companions or What To Do When Your Dog is Lost
    • One of the two awards is open for students outside the United States

Renewal Guidelines

▪    The student must maintain a 3.5 GPA in order to receive each increment

▪    The student must maintain full-time enrollment and must remain in good standing at their institution

Application Deadlines

▪    September 1, 2014

Dog Fence DIY will notify the recipient of the scholarship no later than September 15, 2014

About www.dogfencediy.com

www.dogfencediy.com is a world class distributor of wireless dog fence solutions for self installation. Dogfencediy.com is family owned at takes pride in providing high quality affordable options to vendor-installed electronic and invisible dog fences®. Dogfencediy.com has assisted thousands of families in creating safe outdoor environments for their dogs in a cost effective format. The dog containment systems available at our website meet the highest criteria for quality and safety. Dogfencediy.com is proud to extend a helping hand to future veterinary professionals because we are all part of the bigger picture when it comes to improving the lives of canine companions. Other community outreach efforts include educational material for dog shelters as well as bulk supply donations to deserving dog charities.

Submission Process

Please utilize the form below to submit your application.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject

Your Message

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Hannah Faye Wicks August 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Hello,
I am a high school senior this year. I will also be taking dual-enrollment courses this fall at the community college in my town. I am wondering if I am eligible to apply for this scholarship to start off college after I graduate high school since I will have taken a semester of “Principles of Animal Science.”

Hannah Wicks

Hi Hannah,
High school students engaged in dual enrollment may apply for the scholarship once they have completed their first semester of dual enrollment and have evidence of their grades. The dog fence DIY scholarship is given annually.

Jiaqi Li August 17, 2014 at 11:27 am

Hello,

I earn my bachelor degree from College of Veterinary Medicine, South China Agricultural University in June, 2014. And I am a first-year DVM student in Louisiana State University.
Am I eligible to apply? Thank you so much.

Yours Sincerely,

Jiaqi Li

ADMIN,
Absolutely you do qualify.Please follow the instructions above submitting your essay as well as your grades.

Paige Miller August 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Good Afternoon,
I am entering my sophomore year at Ohio University with a major in Biochemistry. I plan on attending veterinary school upon graduation. Does my major render me ineligible for this scholarship? Thank you.
Kindly,
Paige Miller

Hi Paige,
No, it does not feel free to apply for the dog fence diy scholarship following the instructions above.

Aja Faranda August 4, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Hi I am interested in applying for the scholarship.Do we use the submission form above only for the essay? Do you require transcripts and gpa information? If so where do we send that information? Thanks, Aja Faranda

ADMIN – Hi Aja, the only requirement is to apply above in the submission form.

Ann August 1, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Hello,
I am a student entering my 3rd year in Biological Sciences. For the first year, my GPA was 3.2, while in second year it was 3.6. Thus, my cumulitative average is 3.4. I was wondering whether you are looking at the last year/semester GPA or cumulitative GPA?

ADMIN,
For the dog fence diy scholarship we are looking at your last semester

Rowena July 30, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Hello, I am interested in applying for this scholarship.

I am currently in a post-bac program for health sciences, and I am pre-veterinary. I have a 3.96 gpa. I am wondering how you want us to send our transcripts in order to verify our gpa.

ADMIN:
Kindly send your essay and GPA to mey.lau@dogfencediy.com

Jenny July 23, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hi, I just graduated from high school and am going into my first year of Agricultural Sciences (Undeclared Pre-Vet Studies Major). I have been accepted into the program and have registered for my first year classes. Am I eligible to apply?

ADMIN,
You will be eligible next year when you have at least one semester under your belt.

Stephanie July 15, 2014 at 1:04 am

Hello my name is Stephanie, and I was wondering if I am eligible to apply for this scholarship? I will be starting college at Santa Fe college in FL, for an associates degree in zoology for two years then I plan to transfer to The University of Florida for Veterinary Medicine. Please let me know if I am eligible to apply, Please and Thank You.

ADMIN,
Dear Stephanie, at this time you are not eligible. You must have at least one semester of college to qualify for this scholarship. We look forward to your application next year.

Angela Culp July 9, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Hi I am working on my bachelors from Tarleton state for Veterinary Technology. Is this open for me as well or only vet students?

ADMIN:
Hi Angela,
This is open to you as well. Please submit your essay prior to the deadline

Esti July 2, 2014 at 1:45 am

Hello,
I’m expecting to start my DVM studies on october 2014 in the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. This will be my first year, though I am a graduate of Medical-laboratory (B.Med. L.Sc.). Can I submit an application for the scholarship yet?

ADMIN
Absolutely! Please submit your essay for the scholarship per the directions above.

Yohannes Ayalew June 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am Yohannes from Ethiopia . Currently, I am studying in Addis Ababa University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine And Agriculture In the department of Animal science, By this, i have a scored a grade point of 3.68(CGPA) in my three semesters so can I apply and what am I expected to do to Submit My application, Is that online method is the only way to apply? If yes am really happy. Regards,

ADMIN – Hi Yohannes, yes you can apply. Please submit your application in the fields above.

Robert Newman June 16, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hello, I am a veterinary student at the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine. I have a clarification question about the essay: Do we write a single essay about both topics combined (i.e. 500 words per topic) or do we pick one topic to write about exclusive? Thank you, Robert Newman

ADMIN – Hi Robert, No, just pick one topic and maximize your 1,000 words.

Brianna Worrell June 13, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Are we to submit a letter of recommendation with the application? Would you like the essay in the message box or in the “attach a file” section. Thank you!:)

ADMIN – Hi Brianna, the essay may be attached. You do not need to send a recommendation letter.

Bharat Regmi June 6, 2014 at 7:02 am

Respected Sir/Mam, I have studying B.V.Sc & A.H ,6th sem. at Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science, Tribhuvan University,Nepal.I have scored 83.5% in aggregate till now.Can i apply for this? Bharat Regmi

ADMIN – Hi Bharat, Absolutely! Please apply!

Jason June 5, 2014 at 3:32 am

Hello, I am a student at the University of Alberta enrolled in a Bachelor of Science degree (major in Biological Sciences), and wanted clarification if I am eligible for this scholarship? My GPA is 3.6+. Thank you, Jason

ADMIN – Hi Jason, Yes you may! We look forward to your submission!

Arturo Fernandez June 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Good Afternoon Sir/Madam,

Currently I am a student at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine entering my sophomore year. My GPA in veterinary school is 3.21 but my bachelor’s GPA is 3.72. I was wondering I would may be considered for this scholarship. Thank you.

Arturo Fernandez

ADMIN,
Yes you may submit but should you be awarded your GPA must have a corrective trend by the next semester