Garden Plants That Are Dangerous for Dogs

by Gayla on March 13, 2014

Fresh fruit and vegetables that are grown in your garden may pose a serious danger to your dog as well as other pets. You may want to reconsider what you are planting in the garden, for the safety of your pets.

Listed below you will find such garden vegetables and fruits:

1.    Onions and garlic should never be fed to your dog, if they ingest a small amount due not get worried as a small amount will not cause your dog to be ill.  A large amount of onions or garlic will contain thiosulphate which will cause hemolytic anemia; this is when the red blood cells are destroyed. Never mix raw, cooked or powdered onion or garlic products in your dog’s food.

Symptoms: Dogs may experience weakness, vomiting, reduced appetite, breathlessness and dullness.

2.    Grapes and raisins are often used as a treat because of their sweet taste, but your dog should never eat them, they can be toxic. The toxic ingredients are unknown, but they may cause your dog to have kidney failure.

Symptoms: Symptoms caused by ingesting grapes and raisins are depression, lethargy and vomiting.

3.    Mushrooms contain amatoxin and phallotoxin, these toxins can cause liver dysfunction, (jaundice, hypoglycemia, acidosis and hemorrhage) and possibly kidney failure.

Symptoms: Your dog may suffer from drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and coma in some cases death.

4.    Tomato plants leaves and stems can be toxic to your pets. This common garden plant contains atropine and other tropane alkaloids which are very toxic if ingested by your pets. Animals that are commonly affected by ingesting this plant are horse, dogs and cats.

Symptoms: Animals affected by a tomato plant will experience hypersalivation, diarrhea, severe     gastrointestinal upset, CNS depression, behavioral change, inappetence, confusion, weakness, drowsiness, slow heart rate and dilated pupils.

5.    Rhubarb contains oxalic acid in its leaves which is nephrotoxic and corrosive, the toxin is a soluble calcium oxalate. Dogs, cats and horses are affected by the leaves of this plant.

Symptoms: The animals may suffer from tremors and kidney failure as well as an overabundance of saliva.

6.    Stone fruit and Apples which includes peaches, plums, apricots and cherries all contain cyanide that can be extremely toxic. Animals that are affected by the toxic cyanogenic glycosides are horses, cats and dogs.

Symptoms: Visible symptoms of the toxic poisoning are dilated pupils, labored breathing, panting and shock.

image credit

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: