Dog Fence Experts Book

by Gajan Retnasaba on July 2, 2009

One of the most frequent complaints we get from customers is that the instructions included with dog fence systems are pretty sparse.  The good folks over at Dog Fence Experts have written a Dog Fence Book to try and fix this problem, covering both dog fence installation and training.  The book covers the main topics of interest for wireless system installations.  But it is the sections on inground installations that really shine.  They go step by step on how you plan out the system, bury the wire,  and even provide a few little hints that we were not aware of.  For example they talk about ways to do a backyard only system by running the return leg through your guttering, which is a neat little trick we are going to start using.

The illustrations are plentiful and quite helpful.  They really make the instructions clear in a way that words cannot.  The review version of the book we read still had a few typos, but they tell us these have been fixed in the final edition.  We have pasted a couple of pages at the bottom of this page.

The training section is very comprehensive.  They share our philosophy that the training is the most important part of any new dog fence.  Again the illustrations really help make it easy.  One quibble is that they neglect to mention ways to keep your dog occupied and out of trouble after the training is complete, which we think is important.

Dog Fence Experts plan to eventually offer the book on Amazon.com for $34.95 which we think is a little expensive for a 90-page book, but on the other hand the advice is solid and could easily save somebody the cover price several times over.  We have tried to convince them that at $15-$20 this book would be a no-brainer.  (Tom … are you listening!)

UPDATE:  after a highly favorable response, we will be giving away a copy of the book with any system purchase.

Our Most Popular Pages

dog fence driveway ~ best dog fence ~ pig00 10777 ~ smart dog fence ~ dog fence installation ~ perimeter technologies dog fence ~ dog fence wire ~ dog fence without digging ~ innotek ultrasmart iuc 5100 ~ ef3000 gold ~ underground electric fences ~ wireless containment fence reviews ~ dig dog fence wire ~ wireless dog containment system ~ innotek sd2000 ~ petsafe reviews ~ dog training fence ~ innotek sd 3000 ~ petsafe wireless containment system ~ wifi dog fence ~ innotek pet fence ~ humane contain ~ wire trencher ~ petsafe prf 304w ~ innotek sd 2100 ~ petsafe pig00 10773 ~ ef 4000

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

shannon May 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

My collar is shocking with no power to the box. I was replacing the battery & it shocked me before ever got it on the dog. The box was unplugged.

ADMIN – Hi Shannon, it sounds like the collar is defective. I would contact the manufacture for replacement.

Avery August 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I have underground electrical service to my house. It comes up the middle of the back yard. Will this interfere with the PetSafe Ultrasmart PIG00-13619. I don’t know how deep it is buried.

ADMIN – Hi Avery, it can create interference. You’ll want to first call 811 to request your utilities to be marked. Now, to avoid interference you will want to install the wire 15 feet away from the underground utilities when running parallel to them. If you are crossing them, make sure to run the wire in a perpendicular angle to create a 90 degree angle.

Miki Miller March 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Will the PetSafe wireless system work with an add on Deluxe Little Dog fence receiver collar? We were thinking to use it with a 65+lb dog and two dogs that are under 10lbs. We would use the collar that comes with the wireless system for the big dog and buy two little dog collars for the little ones. Your thoughts?

ADMIN – Hi Miki,

The PetSafe wireless system would, regretably, not work with the Petsafe Little Dog wired system collars. Afraid if you want to use a containment system with dogs under 10 pounds, the only game in town is using the PetSafe wired systems – there are no suitable wireless options.

Paul Mitri February 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I have over head electric wires in front of my property and also high tension wires running threw my property on the east side. Will the innotek IUC 4100 work on my 40 lb dog?

ADMIN – Hi Paul,

The overhead electrical wires and the high tension wires will be a non-issue. They are too high overhead to cause any problems. Wires that are within a few feet are the only ones that can cause problems with the dog fence signal crossing over.

Maya August 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hi, I have two dogs; 6 pound and 15 pound. Should I go with the PetSafe Little Dog or The Innotek IUC-4100? What do you recommend? Rgds Maya.

ADMIN – Hi Maya,

With the smallest being 6 pounds, you would definitely be better off with the PetSafe Little Dog. The Innotek IUC-4100 will be much too big for a 6 pound dog.

Lynn May 17, 2011 at 8:39 am

Hi, We have a 10 pound dog but he’s pretty bold and fearless. He alerts us to everything and has recently chased a bike rider and a car. Any recommendations for a system for him? Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

ADMIN – Hi Lynn,.

For any little Napoleon’s under 12lbs, the PetSafe Little Dog is the best choice. It has a smaller collar and correction setting that are better calibrated for smaller dogs.

Jackie Cederquist March 8, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’m interested to purchase Innotek IUC-5100 for my 2 dogs weighing about 30 to 40lbs each. I live in Malaysia and our electrical voltage is 220. Can I use your system in Malaysia?

regards, Jackie

ADMIN- Hi Jackie,

Unfortunately, the systems we offer only works with 110- volt. The best suggestion I have is to call the manufacture Innotek to see if they have a retail center that specializes in systems that work for 220-volt outlets.

Innotek- (800) 826.5527

andy January 12, 2011 at 10:32 am

I have a medium size dog that lives in a back yard that is contained by a 4 ft. high brick wall. I need to keep the dog off of the brick wall because he leaps over it however, I don’t mind that he has free run along the inside of the wall so that he can spook away any potential burglars. What do you recommend?

ADMIN – Hi Andy,

Once you have placed the wire, I would set up the fence so that it starts correcting the dog a foot or two before he actually gets to the brick wall. (You will do this by adjusting the boundary width dial on the transmitter). Training is difficult and the system is ineffective if it only starts correcting the dog once actually on the wall since once your dog starts leaping it is often too late for them to change their mind and turn around. (It does work with smaller dogs that are actually climbing the fence, just not with bigger dogs that can sail right over)

That should stop the dog from getting close enough to the wall to leap over, but should also allow them to get close enough to the wall to still act as a deterrent to potential trespassers.

Jack Gualdoni November 10, 2010 at 11:10 am

I am looking for a invisable unit that I can put the parimiter wires on electric fence insulators and when the dog get within so many feet it will shock her. The dog are german Shepards and weight 90 lbs. Can you recomment any thing. Thanks Jack

ADMIN – Hi Jack,

How much area are you going to enclose and what is the dog’s temprament like?

The Innotek IUC-4100 would be a good choice for a 90lb GSD, it is a small collar, rechargeable, and good if you are going to enclose up to 25 acres. The PetSafe Stubborn is another good choice is more hard headed, it is a bit cheaper, has a larger collar that takes 9V batteries, and can enclose 10 acres.

LaVerne Pestka November 27, 2009 at 10:49 am

Hi! I am looking for a wireless containment system for a small dog weighing less than 10 pounds! can you give me information on that?
Thank you!
LaVerne

ADMIN – Hi LaVerne,

The best choice for our friends under 10 lbs is the PetSafe Little Dog.

It has the smallest collar, and the correction is set to levels that are lower than regular collars, so it is more appropriate for small dogs.